What’s up, buttercups?! How’s your day been? Mine’s been pretty good. My brain hurts from Biochem…any tutors out there? All these pathways and enzymes are a lot to handle. You gotta be BOLD! hehe
Having breakfast ready (or almost ready) in the morning has really helped my time management! Try it…you might like it 😉 Today’s SIAB for breakfast was very refreshing! I did a Pretty-in-Pink Smoothie (strawberries, keifer, banana, ice) topped with blackberries, blueberries, 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats, and 1 tbsp raw almond butter. ahhhhhhhh!
Then it was off to the gym to teach Zumba and do some abs 😉 Gotta look good for that swimsuit in 2 weeks and 4 days, but who’s counting?
After a quick wardrobe change ;), it was off to the temp job. Pre-made lunch of leftovers from Sunday night plus some extra spinach just ‘cuz I needed some more green with those spinach noodles 😉 on a makeshift placemat (aka lunchbag).
I re-heated it all together (why are leftovers SO good?!), so the spinach was wilted with the pasta. Yummers!
And, even though it was a quickie lunch, it’s important to set the table for yourself and enjoy your meal. You made it! You earned it!
And every meal deserves dessert…an organic pear and a black bean brownie dessert sandwich with dessert hummus in the center. WOW!!! I left it in the frige all morning…seriously, it was like cookie dough (oh, how I’ve missed cookie dough. If I’d only known it was possible in healthy way 😉 )
Snack was an unphotographed Cashew Cookie Larabar. Since I missed my Hot Yoga class today because of work, I did an afternoon workout of 1 power hour of Power Yoga to stretch out really good. Zumba has me tight these days.
After a loooooooooooooong day of
daydreaming about recipes studying, I took some time to cook tonight since Tuesdays are my night off from teaching Zumba. Out came the blender and food processor (a VitaMix would make life so much easier…maybe one day my fairy godmother will deliver one hehe).
1. Emergency Smoothie. I always try to keep one made for “emergencies”/ my-stomach-is-growling-and-I-need-something-healthy-now! (Impatient a little? hmmm!). Plus, it’s a great way to use random ingredients that I need to finish up. I’ll tell you more about it when it’s consumed 😉
2. Since-They-Won’t-Bring-Blueberry-Muffin-“Larabars®”-To-Me, I’ll-Make-Them-Myself
Servings: 6 bars
- 1 cup(about 20) pitted dates
- 1 cup almonds (mine had been soaked overnight)
- 2 tablespoons shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries (all I had was fresh ones, so I used 1 cup)
- 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (or sexy spice or apple pie spice)
Directions: Put all this goodness in the food processor (or VitaMix or BlendTec–Lindsay!, if you’re so lucky!) and let it fly. Mine are now in the refrigerator setting up. I’m thinking they may HAVE to appear at tomorrow’s breakfast. I licked the spatula as I was scraping the mix out…WHOA!!! Hey, half the fun of “letting it fly” is licking the utensils! (I’m in a sassy mood tonight..watch out!)
3. Thank-You, Lord for Making Brownie Batter (yes, I said it! Brownie Batter) hehe
- 4 tbsp soft coconut oil
- 2 tbsp (or more!) dark cocoa powder
- scant 1/16 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp sexy spice
- 1/2 a frozen banana heated in the microwave for 20 seconds to soften
- optional: Feel free to sweeten, if needed (not needed for this chica!)
Blend everything (or mash with a fork).
I cut the recipe in half because it was for my dessert tonight, and I knew having extra around would be dangerous!
Then, I finally tackled tofu in the oven. Usually, I’m so hungry by the time it’s dinner time that taking the time to sit tofu on a paper towel THEN bake it THEN broil it is simply too much torture, but I had time tonight.
4. Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Energy
I made them this time with raw almond butter, unsweetened coconut, and honey and rolled them in coconut and cacao nibs.
- Press extra firm tofu with cookbooks or something heavy between paper towels for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400*F for 35 minutes.
- Broil for 5 minutes.
- Season with WHATEVER…BBQ sauce, oil and spices, etc. (I used mixed herbs and balsamic tonight.)
But, I started with a small salad beast (herb mix, edamame, carrots, celery, cucumbers hummus, balsamic).
Now enters the tofu, 1/2 sweet potato sexified, some steamed green beans (about 1 cup) with Garlic Gold nuggets. Yummy!
Daddy brewed coffee tonight, and it smelled SO good that I had to have some while I watched my Heels play Wake Forest. It’s been a while since I had coffee all day long ;), so it really was dark and bold (and 1/2 caff)…just the way (uh huh uh huh) I like it! It’s nice to have it as a treat now and not all day long like I was before.
And finally…BROWNIE BATTER!!!! It was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!! topped with strawberries and blackberries. (Thanks, Katie!)
Valentine’s Day got me thinking about a couple of things I wanted to toss out to y’all to see what you think…
1. Sweet Stuff
Since I am out of agave, I did some reading today on sweeteners so I could have a substitute for my Balls of Energy. I came across this article and am interested in knowing what you think…what’s your favorite sweetie? why?
2. Shopping as a Single Lady (or Man)
How do cut the cost of grocery shopping while shopping for 1? I mean, so many places suggest shopping in bulk, but it’s not worth it to let food go bad if you can’t finish it all…how do you shop for 1?
Keep those reader’s requests coming for the giveaway!
Reader’s Request: My Essential Foods
My typical grocery list looks a little something like this…
- raw nuts (I switch up which kind. I’m always up for something new)
- raw nut butter (clearly a staple. I usually don’t splurge on fun flavors (unless I get a sample packet) because I can’t afford it, but ILOVE reading y’all’s combos.)
- a grain (quinoa, brown rice, etc.)
- organic apples/oranges/pears (whatever’s on sale)
- Larabars (I always stock up when they’re on sale!)
- organic spinach and some type of mixed greens
- organic baby carrots
- almond milk
- 0% fat greek yogurt
- plain hummus
- organic canned beans (black, garbanzo, baked 😉 )
- sweet potato
- steamed veggies (green beans, brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc.)
- 100% unsweetened chocolate
- new ingredient that I’ve never tried before so I can make some new recipes and get creative so my palate doesn’t get bored 🙂
Hope this helps! Sweet dreams, loves!